The steps involved were:
- Cut the blank (a 7" x 7" section of 2x8).
- Rough-cut a 4" hole in the center of the blank, using a drill and scroll saw.
- Turn the blank in the lathe to get the hole exactly right, using trial fittings to test it. It took me four tries to get that right. :)
- Use the router to put a 1/2" radius on the front face corners.
- Use a Fortsner bit in the drill press to mill two holes to recess the “ears”.
- Paint with KILZ primer.
I also mounted a new entry set (latch and lock) on the door between our laundry room and our garage. The old set had worn out. Naturally, after I took the old set off I discovered that the hole for the lock was not the standard (2 1/8") diameter. To make it more challenging, the door is a steel security door. Sigh. So I used a jigsaw with a metal blade to enlarge the hole to the right size. That was surprisingly challenging to do; the uneven surface of the door made it hard to keep the jigsaw upright. I solved that problem by using a small piece of plywood as a flat platform for the saw. I needed about three hands to do that!
This afternoon I had a lovely walk with the puppies. To switch things up, I walked them through a new part of the neighborhood to our northwest. We met lots of new dogs, several new adults, and a few curious kids. Most surprising was the kitty who came running out to meet the new puppies!