Last week I dealt with a very rare shipping problem for an Amazon order – a hand truck I'd ordered a month ago had never arrived. Amazon said they'd ship me a replacement via one-day shipping. Great! Except that when I got the confirmation, it listed my mom's address instead of mine. Not so great. I called Amazon again, and they said they'd change the shipping address and I should have it by Monday (yesterday). It didn't arrive. So this afternoon I called Amazon again, and they said that Federal Express had reported it as lost. Somebody doesn't want me to have this hand truck! Amazon now has the second replacement order placed for me, also via overnight delivery, and I just checked that it's going to the correct address. I wonder what will happen next?
On the positive side, the painters made more progress today – we now have a number of rooms that are completely finished, and things are looking very nice indeed. Also today the new railing and handrail for our basement entrance-way arrived. These were designed and fabricated by a local metal worker, and they are far better made than the bent and broken original. The hand railing needs some minor modification, so it went back to the shop. The rail, however is now completely installed. I watched the process, which was far more interesting than I expected it to be. Instead of the crappy fasteners and worse glue that held the old rail in (which the installers just yanked out!), the new one is anchored in super-strength concrete. To do this, the installers drilled 3" diameter holes 4" down into the concrete (see photos below), then inserted the new railing and poured the super-strength concrete to make solid footings. This new rail isn't going anywhere!
|The old railing - note the bend in it!|
|The "core" drill bit...|
|That's a serious drill! Note the water cooling...|
|The drill in action...|
|The "core" removed by cracking after drilling...|
|The new railing after installation...|
|The super-strength concrete footing...|