Tuesday, November 28, 2017
a remote-controlled relay, controlled by RF through a little transmitter. At $13.95, I could hardly complain about the price. In fact, that's so cheap I was worried about it being junk – though the photo looked like a well-made device. I took a chance and ordered it. It came very quickly, and I opened it up to see if it matched the photos. It did, in every respect – and with the opportunity to make a close inspection, I'm actually pretty impressed with its design and construction. The relay is a hard-contact relay, which made me feel better about hiding it in the wall: those old-fashioned relays are more likely to fail than a modern solid-state relay, but much less likely to burst into flames under any failure mode.
So yesterday I dragged out my tools and started making holes in the kitchen wall. To Debbie's credit, she didn't panic when I took out my oscillating saw and attacked the wallboard. :) The only real challenge to the project was getting the wire from the outlet down low to my new hole up high. I used a fiberglass rod “fish” to get through a new hole in the outlet's box to my new high hole; that worked out quite nicely. The rest was just screws and wiring. When I got it all hooked up, I took out the remote control – and it all worked on the very first try. That's $13.95 I'm very happy to have spent!
This morning we're headed down to Salt Lake City to raid MacBeath Hardwood. I've never been there, but it looks like a place I will actually enjoy shopping in. We'll likely stop again at Caputo's, at the very least to pick up another panettone (we got one last week that was simply outstanding). I suspect we'll also be grabbing some lunch down there...