Wednesday, September 13, 2017
I spent much of this morning painting – touch-up work, mainly on trim. We had a lot of places where the trim had taken some hits, most likely from when we've moved furniture or other big things inside the house. It's easy work, but a bit tedious. After that I did my “water chores”: added salt to the water softener, changed the sediment filters (we have two in series), and changed out the ultraviolet bulb in our water purifier. That last bit is an annual ritual – not really very difficult, but because I do it so infrequently I have to re-learn what to do each time. :) I imagine I'll be able to keep changing the filters and that UV bulb for quite a few more years before I'm too feeble – but I'm more concerned about the salt. It comes in 40 pound bags that have to be carried from the garage down to the basement mechanical room, then lifted waist-high and dumped into the saline tank of the water softener. There will come a time when those things are beyond me, perhaps not so many years from now. The only solution I can come up with for that problem is to hire a local kid to come do it for me!