State of the dust collector... The left photo below shows the partly assembled dust collector, lying on its side like a crippled minnow. The large cylinder in the left foreground is the HEPA filter for the beast, and the smaller cylinder in the background is the sawdust/chip collector. Both of these will be attached once the beast is raised upright. The right photo shows the variety of small parts that remain to be attached...
Sunday, March 15, 2015
I picked all that out with a dental pick, then used steel wool and a lot of elbow grease to get the film of translucent silicone off. That was surprisingly difficult! I also used steel wool on the sink itself, followed by a course of Barkeeper's Friend (the best stuff I've ever used for cleaning metal); this cleaned and shined up the sink nicely.
Then I re-caulked with modern, water-clear silicone – and kept the bead completely under the granite. I finished it using a trick I learned from the guys who installed our bathroom granite: I spritzed the bead with half water/half isopropyl alcohol, then just ran my finger down the bead. Perfect finish! The face of the caulk bead is basically vertical. When it's cured (tomorrow), I'll get rid of any films of silicone remaining on the stainless steel – and then the kitchen sink will be completely finished!
One sink-related task remains for today: I'm going to strip out all the old caulking (it's an under-counter sink, caulked to the bottom of the surrounding granite) and put new in. That means a fifth trip, this time to Home Depot to get some decent grout, hopefully in a color that will blend nicely. I'm also going to use steel wool to thoroughly clean the sink itself, as now it's old grungy appearance contrasts badly with the nice new faucet :)