Monday, November 9, 2015
When I got home, things started to happen just a tad more chaotically. The solar folks gave me a call and said they were going to be at our house in an hour (at 11 am), bringing the horizontal boring guy with them. Their plan was to lay conduit in a new trench 275' long, from the barn to the house's electrical meter. They were bringing a “trencher” to dig that trench, though bits of it would have to be hand dug (where the new trench had to cross existing pipes and wires). The first two photos below show the horizontal boring machine, and the third photo shows the drilling head emerging into the target hole – at most a quarter inch from the intended position. No pipes were broken during the boring, thankfully. The last two photos show the trencher in operation. It makes a 3" wide trench to a quite precise depth, but quite slowly (though faster than I could do it with the backhoe!). I did some backhoe work to help out, probably 20' of trench altogether. Mainly this was in areas so full of gravel that the trencher couldn't get through it. I ended up spending most of my day on this.
Right in the middle of the trenching work, a UPS tractor-trailer truck pulled up outside our driveway with a delivery for me: a tool chest that I ordered last week. I had to stop the trenching work, remove the loader bucket, attach the forks, unload the package (280 pounds), remove the forks, attach the bucket, and go back to work on the trench. Sheesh!
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment