KABtronics clock kit – got the seconds decoder, LED drivers, and LED done. When I finished, I powered it up – and got nothing on the LED at all. A little inspection and I found a row of 7 resistors that I'd forgotten to install, and these were the current-limiting resistors for the LED segments. Once I actually loaded all the parts, it all worked on the first try. The circuit board now weighs perceptibly more than it did when I started, just from the weight of the 200 or so components I've mounted (and soldered). I'm in awe of the job the kit's maker did on it.
Yesterday afternoon, UPS delivered my Black Box SP426A Ethernet isolators. They were the last component I needed before installing a router, switch, and wireless router out in the shed – so that's what I'm going to be doing this morning. With any luck at all, I'll soon have network communications (including Internet access) out there!