Progress in Paradise... The fencing folks showed up yesterday, and started reconfiguring the post-and-rail fence in our back yard. We're turning it from a yard-and-paddock into a single bigger yard. They also started installing “goat wire” over the post-and-rail fence. This is sturdy wire with 6" square holes – small enough holes to keep the dogs in, rugged enough to keep them from destroying it, and large enough holes to allow our neighbor Tim D. to feed his irrigation pipes through to the risers inside the yard. I helped them for a bit, with our tractor – we lifted out the posts being removed, and loaded them onto their truck. Some of those posts were filled with concrete, and weighed close to 200 pounds.
In the early afternoon the fencing guys came to let me know that I had water erupting onto the field, from a point just south of our barn. To my great surprise, the Paradise pressurized irrigation water had been turned on! We weren't expecting it for at least another two weeks. One of the risers on the east/west line about 20' south of our barn had broken, and water was leaking out at a prodigious rate: a 3" line completely open. Just west of our barn, in a slight depression in the field, a small lake had formed. Yikes! I grabbed the valve “key” and took off on my ATV to the valve, which is a couple hundred yards west of our barn. I got it shut off in a jiffy. When that ground has dried out enough for me to dig, I've got a repair job. Dang.