Meanwhile, in between dog emergencies (Race got a sudden case of the hives; we're still working out why and he's got a vet appointment today) I spent the rest of the day fabricating a couple of power distribution blocks. I need these inside the platform to distribute up to about 200 amps of 12 volt power, to (especially) the 2KW inverter, the refrigerator outlet, and the air compressor. I also want some room for adding devices in the future.
Power distribution blocks are common commercial devices, but I couldn't find one that could handle 0 gauge wire and small wire that was of nice quality. Plus they were outrageously expensive. So I decided to make mine, starting with 12" of 3/4" square brass stock. That story is told in the photos below, but the bottom line is that they came out great!
|Platform parts baking in the sun...|
|Boring a 7/16" hole into 3/4" inch stock doesn't leave much room for error...|
|After boring brass for a while, the shavings under the drill press were kind of pretty and sparkly in the bright sunlight...|