Saturday, May 19, 2018
Grill cabinet progress...
Yesterday morning I took the two units with cutouts over to our deck to test fit the grill components. To my vast relief, they fit perfectly.
The first two photos below show how I cut the plywood tops (from ACX plywood). You have to look close to see that I have two sheets of plywood clamped together there: one 3/4" piece and one 1/2" piece. The two together get me the 1 1/4" thick plywood the granite countertop requires. The saw is a battery-powered Makita circular saw. It's not merely convenient – it makes a very nice cut with just a 1/16" kerf.
The third photo shows how I attached the bottom sheet to the frame (the same way for each frame). I put screws every 3" where the frame touches the plywood. Before I screwed it in, I put down a coat of wood glue on the frame top. That piece of wood isn't going anywhere! :)
The fourth and fifth photos show the glue-up for the top piece on the two units with cutouts. That used a lot of clamps! For the third unit, with just a big flat countertop, I had to do some tricky clamping to make sure the center of the two pieces of plywood was under pressure. Then of course I forgot to take a photo of it.
The last three photos show views of the three units aligned and clamped together, before I drilled the holes for the bolts that now hold the units together. That was the first time I had tested the fit of the three units to each other – I was really happy to see that they fit so well!